Attorney Writ Bond FAQs

Attorney Writ Bond 24 Hour Number: (214) 403-6522

The purpose of this article is to provide some quick details regarding the attorney writ bond process. Those in need of this information are usually in the midst of a stressful and emotional situation. The article contains the most common questions and answers regarding an attorney writ bond. I understand, sometimes, people would just rather talk to an attorney immediately. Don’t hesitate to call 24 hours a day: (214) 403-6522

Attorney Writ BondWhat is an Attorney Writ Bond?

The short answer: it is a way to bond out of jail immediately on a misdemeanor offense.

In Texas, a person arrested for an offense greater than a Class C Misdemeanor must see a judge to have their bond set. It is not uncommon for an arrested person to wait up to 48 hours before they are “arraigned” (brought before the judge). Collin County permits an attorney to file a petition known as a “Writ of Habeas Corpus” (a “writ” for short). They are filed at any time of day or night. A writ has many purposes under the law. For the person who is recently arrested for a misdemeanor it is used to immediately set the bond. With this process it is not necessary to wait for a judge arraignment.

What Offenses are Writ Bond Eligible?

In Collin County, only misdemeanor offenses are eligible for an attorney writ bond. A few of the most common writ bond offenses include: DWI, Theft, and Possession of Marijuana.

All Misdemeanor offense are eligible, except:

  1. Class C Misdemeanors
  2. Traffic Tickets
  3. Felony Cases
  4. Family Violence Cases
What Cities Allow Jail Release by Attorney Writ Bond?

An attorney can secure jail release on behalf of a person arrested in any Collin County city: Allen, Frisco, Plano, McKinney, Richardson, Sachse, Wylie, Prosper, Celina, Melissa, etc.

Can a Bondsman File an Attorney Writ Bond? 

No. Bondsmen cannot file an attorney writ bond. Writ bonds may be filed only by an attorney licensed to practice law in Texas. It is a crime for a bondsman to refer a person to an attorney to secure a writ bond, as well.

Speak Your Mind